Sunday 21 November 2021

My friend Anand: A death by choice

It’s now ten years. Ten years since the death of my friend and batch-mate in the college, Anand Ranthidevan and his wife Deepa, who decided to call quits in 2011. They were in their late 30s, successful and happy. Ten years on, and I am still not able to come to terms with his death. Why did he do that? The question keeps lingering in my mind. 

He, in fact, made me think a lot even when he was alive. Anand and I were together in chemical engineering class, REC, Trichy, from 1990-94. I studied in a small town, Srirangam and the college and the liberal world overwhelmed me. More particularly, Anand and his philosophy. That was the first time my idea of what is right and what is wrong was questioned. He used to demolish my assumptions with a wide grin and a ruthless logic that came to him effortlessly. 

It used to go like this: “No, Anand, we should not be selfish.” 

 “Ha-ha, really Mani? Think about it again. We live because we are selfish. We kill to survive. How many living things do you hurt every day! Can you really live without killing or hurting something or somebody?  Think about it. The fittest survive, Mani. Everybody, almost every species does that. That’s the philosophy of life. Don’t get carried away by what people preach. That is done by the powerful to keep order in society. Analyze all that is told to you on the altar of logic. Life is ours and we are responsible to only ourselves!”

Another time, it was “Anand, my house is very small. Can’t invite all our friends.” 

“To invite people home, you don’t need a big house, Mani! All you need is a big heart and a sense of acceptance of your humble background.” 

He was brutally honest. His questions and answers would make many of us, friends and batchmates, uncomfortable. But, he was comfortable with me.  Maybe, I was yet to learn the art of pretension then.  I guess, he liked that frankness. 

He used to laugh at me and my philosophy on life. His forthrightness dipped in sharp wit could penetrate any defence. I have seen him tearing the guys apart in the class, canteen, anywhere. He was seldom seen in a company, and yet he was popular. 

Slowly, I was drawn to him as he challenged my assumptions logically. He taught me to question things objectively. He explained to me how there is nothing called right or wrong and only what we do and what we don’t want to do. He taught me to be bold. Indeed, his contribution to my ‘growing up’ may be much more than what I ever realised. 

He was courageous and smart. I remember the arousing extempore speech he gave on the basketball court, a day before we went on strike against the college management. I remember his smart preparations for exams and how he used to get as many marks as he needed. He never had trouble being the smartest of all. But, he never really was a part of the world we all lived in. He lived in his own world, with his own rules, if at all he had any. 

In a way, he was a philosopher who lived his philosophy.  Even during his college days, he found the word hypocritical. He found pretensions all around. He lived as if he is immune to the pretensions. He lived for himself one day at a time. I never remember him having long-term goals. He lived in the present. Whatever happiness he got out of his karate classes, his ice creams, his laughter- he lived it, fully. 

I did wonder once, what will he do when the karate, ice creams and books fail to enthral him? What will keep him interested in life? Like most men, would he fall into the vortex of love and find a lady who will hold his interest for a longer time? And then maybe children? 

He indeed found Deepa interesting, and they got married in Bangalore, presumably without any fanfare. I remember how he once called me on the phone and announced his marriage. He laughed and said, “I did not send you a marriage invitation, Mani, because, I never printed any! Why should we waste others’ time for my marriage?” I was not surprised a bit. 

Then, I lost touch with him in the midst of a chaotic life. I left Bokaro steel city and joined the IAS. Got married, entered the life of a civil servant and lost myself in the mundane affairs of life. Years rolled on. I lost touch with him. 

At times, Anand would show up in my mind. I wanted to catch up with him and surprise him with how much I have changed. I wanted to tell him that I understand his philosophy much better with age. I wanted to tell him that I fully agree with him that the world is indeed inside our minds and we just live life as we want and we become experts in justifying it. 

But, then, that day never came. Only the news of his death came. Death by choice. Both killed themselves by hanging together leaving a clear death note. “We have lived a very eventful and happy life together. We’ve travelled the world, lived in different countries, made more money than we ever thought possible, and enjoyed spending as much of it as we could on things that brought us joy and satisfaction. We believe in the philosophy that our life belongs to us and only us, and we have the right to choose to die as much as we have the right to live. We have kept Rs 10,000 in an envelope for expenses. We are making this decision in our individual capacities.” 

The death note exhibited the same striking clarity he always had. He never seems to have unanswered questions. But, he left me with so many questions. 

Why he didn’t find a reason to live? Why do I have so many reasons to live. And my reasons are real reasons or have I invented them for my sake? I remembered a quote from Einstein “Strange is our situation here on earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose.” And then he said somewhere else, “I would want to know why He started the universe. For once I knew that answer, then I would know the purpose of my own life” 

Most of us live without knowing the purpose. So, we invent a purpose, may it be a loft one of living for others or a simple selfish one. But, an honest examination would force us to face the fact that we are selfish and we live for ourselves. Even if we assume that we contribute something to the world, the universe and the world are so overwhelming that it makes our contribution so little to be counted. 

Ramana Maharishi says, “Your own Self-realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Did Anand realize himself, the greatest service in the world? Did his brutal honesty lead him to feel that he has no more reason to live? Does his honesty mock me and my pretension to life? 

Destiny has strange ways of mocking us; at our pretensions;  the list of reasons that we invent to live; spouse, kids, family, friends, and society. Endless list of reasons. So, when I realize that all those lists are invented by me for my own selfishness, what will I do? Can my honesty survive the emptiness? Will that self-loathing and emptiness claim me? Did that claim Anand?

These questions remain unanswered even after ten years of his death. 

59 comments:

  1. πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless we find a purpose to live, Its difficult to wake up each day. Sometimes i feel live should have a turn off button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confusing πŸ€”πŸ˜”

    ReplyDelete
  4. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»Really heart touching sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ��������

    ReplyDelete
  6. ��������

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mani Sir, first of all do we really need a passion to live? will it be only one always if we are not inventing? Isn't it true that the, passions also change as we move along in life - So are we trying to find one thing unknowingly where a full life needs many at different times?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ridiculous to die, y not choose to serve the needy ones, they lived happily, why not live to make others feel like wat they felt. This is my opinion. May differ in views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get your point. I live that way. But, then when you read Ramana Maharishi, you feel all is but a drama.

      Delete
  9. The knowledge what they earned or gathered should be helpful for someone who need... without this no point to gather such a good knowledge .... My view sir(Anna)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just sad and also.proud...
    Sad because an existence in this world unknowingly crossed many natural barriiers and their parents effort to make him stay protected living....All are wasted
    Proud because he made his own choice is not great but also his wife followed him....Not sure of the real fact...but making a person die for you is a great achievement can't be expressed in words...

    Pity his intellectual skills for choosing suicide...

    My view of life ...it is a gift which parent support little rest keep moving on AS MUCH AS YOU CAN until your destiny arrives...no matter rich or poor ..educated or not...just move on world has got something for and on you...

    Life is just ripples created on a water and bursts out automatically...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything in this universe have some purpose,i personally believe - life is a journey we are sent on,to fulfill some purpose but somehow after getting trapped in the circus has forgetten the same,every journey have some end and ours is death.Thank you for sharing this,may he and his wife be at peace and satisfied wherever they are πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life is a mystery, we never know what was his objective in ending life with a suicide also not only his own but someone else life also. Actually this make us realise the importance of joint family value system and also being socially active by helping others & also taking help from other's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when we live for others, we do that as it gives US the happiness. So, its finally selfish only. Isn't?

      Delete
    2. Sir one may term it so but at the end of the day someone is benefited unconditionally. Effect is important here. Just my blunt thought Sir.

      Delete
  13. He was wrong about life. The life will be happiest for us if we start giving. If you educate a poor deserving boy after you have fulfilled your commitment, it will give a satisfaction which money cant buy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. May be he thought the burden of living is more than the happiness.

      Delete
  14. When I read things about people with smarts and great minds but r consumed by the chaos of life, the meaningless of the world, and the impassivity of the universe there is only one person who comes to mind, Ayn Rand. To give ur life purpose and meaning and not get lost one needs to understand what she wrote and man's place in the universe. She saves lives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The answer perhaps lies in what impact your passing away has on your near & dear ones. If it's one of genuine sorrow, may be that's good enough to carry on. On the other hand, if it's of relief, perhaps time to go - if euthanasia acceptable πŸ™„

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life has no purpose. You have to make it intresting or difficult. Life is a journey , by itself it's meaningless. Your fellow travelers and yourself jointly can make or break the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes we live for others. We carry enormous debts from the moment we are born, grow up, enjoy a beautiful evening etc. The love, help, care, we receive, don't always begin with a barter, but with a selfless mind. It is our responsibility to look after them, care for them.
    No doubt, we should work hard for our own happiness, but we should also realize the fact, in the path of achieving our happiness, hundreds and thousands of people have contributed their part(selfless/purposeful) to make our life successful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Life is by and for purpose. Yes I do agree with Anand yet differ on many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wisdom he possess was unused for betterment of others difficulties or societies. then what is the use of his wisdom. We are humans , stays in society with people . sharing is essential. We can't be alone and do our own things alone without neighbors extended support . so we should not waste time by finding purpose of life . it varies to many from their point of views . so keeping engaged with stuffs by involving and experiencing leads to fruitful life with many meanings. life is like relay run , handover Baton to another who is waiting to end your run means life. So don't end life by choice ,let it go by nature wish till

    ReplyDelete
  20. A guy with amazing clarity, but it is still puzzling why he ended his life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such beautiful clarity of thoughts and an impactful life. May mahadev bless their souls….

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes I feel beyond my own need, when I feel lost I see service a means of existence. Probably my outlook let me overlook things which people are struggling to get. One last reason when I don't find a reason for myself is, be of value to someone when I don't see my existence meaningful..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to be of some worth, some value. Children fill that gap till they grow up.

      Delete
  23. True that "I would want to know why He started the universe" and also what is right may not be right and what is wrong may not be wrong.... Nice write up sir

    ReplyDelete
  24. Same thing I was thinking when my father was no more but than I saw my son and find a goal for my life that I have to complete my duties for him.

    Without goal you will not find life anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very well Articulated sir. I personally feel sometimes that being honest is too dangerous.
    Not sure but in-between i remember Srinivasa Ramanujan - Mathematician .

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm trying to visualise your friend's view on life.... This is not possible for a normal common man.... unless someone who really feels satisfied with life...
    We may come across such thought out of pain just for few minutes but not out of wisdom....

    I recently watched a movie Vinodhaya Sitham. A story around a self-obsessed family man.
    Almost everyone one us carry a small percentage of that character. Coming out such state of mind is close to impossible. ( I'm just trying crossing such border)

    People feel satisfied with their life only when they realise that they can't be active anymore. But feeling satisfied with one's life during the young age and getting into an eternal life is not at all possible for a common man..

    ( sometimes I think about having such peaceful end...
    I believe that's the Trishanku Swargam.. end with self-respect... but truly that's not out of wisdom... )

    We could never even imagine of such level of wisdom in a common man..

    It's a miracle that his better half too had the waves...

    Thanks for sharing Captain....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Narendra Pratap Chaudhary22 November 2021 at 23:28

    This blog has got me thinking on so many things and many things I can relate to... The abrupt ending of his life is very sad, but that's how he wanted it and he did it

    ReplyDelete
  28. If a person who got so much of clarity in life, so clear on the purpose of life taken this step, then I think as a society we are failing big time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Captain Manivannan I had the privilege of seeing you closely when you had come to Railway station receive your mother. Later once in Aranya Bhavan quartes Of VR singh. I did not know that you studied Engineering. Still same bold style of explaining facts of life in simple straight forward way. Mysore still remembers you . Rathanbabu KB ( Ratankilar

    ReplyDelete
  30. Going by Anand's own analogy, he could've been not so selfish in choosing his death. Whilst he had probably seen it all and done it all, he could've inspired a whole lot of people in making their lives a more fruitful one.
    I feel service to humanity is bigger than self-realization. As much that the latter can be termed selfish.

    OTOH Mani sir, really like the way you penned his influence on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Maj. @Manivannan, came across this topical blog-post the day after my wife and I attended her cousin's 13th day ceremony. Turns out her cousin decided to take her life rather abruptly leaving behind a shocked husband and daughter who had just come from Germany for their baby's first birthday. What was to be joyous family reunion turned south. The cousin seemingly had everything in life – a loving husband who had recently retired from a senior Government position, a daughter and grandchild … and the means to enjoy their golden retired years.

    I re-read this post and comments below, while trying to come to grips with my wife’s cousin’s decision. It is unclear if WE are condoning a persons’ right to “their” life?... .and I am especially conflicted on whether “our” life is really ours to take?!

    You certainly open up a debate by sharing Anand and Deepa’s story, but I wouldn’t look up to them and their radical views on life (sic)… not by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it is a surprise that we all confirm to the norms around us so easily, sir,

      Delete
  32. Hi Mani, I have all the answers you are looking for, shall email you to that effect soon. I am related to his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, please do! My email is: Mani1972.ias@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you Mr. Mani for your recollections. A mention from my uncle about my extended cousin’s puzzling suicide got me searching and brought me here. Your memories are probably the most I will get to know of him since nobody in the family knows anything more.

    Having lost two other friends to suicide, both ever kind to others, doing well in their careers, financially stable, having supporting families and showing no sign of anything unusual apart from being socially recluse, its something that makes me search for answers to this puzzle every now and then.

    My only guess so far is they were all entirely logical in thinking, knowing death is the ultimate answer and there is no escape. Maybe they all lacked faith in something beyond logic that only scriptures talk about.

    Will just put here another piece of the puzzle. A quote about death from a young doctorate in evolutionary Biology from Stanford. Few years later she took her own life:

    “Though we ordinarily think that a leaf is born in the springtime, Gautama could see that it had been there for a long, long time in the sunlight, the clouds, the tree, and in himself. Seeing that the leaf had never been born, he could see that he too had never been born. Both the leaf and he himself had simply manifested—they had never been born and were incapable of ever dying. With this insight, ideas of birth and death, appearance and disappearance dissolved, and the true face of the leaf and his own true face revealed themselves. He could see that the presence of any one phenomenon made possible the existence of all other phenomena. One included all, and all were contained in one.

    The leaf and his body were one. Neither possessed a separate, permanent self. Neither could exist independently from the rest of the universe. Seeing the interdependent nature of all phenomena, Siddhartha saw the empty nature of all phenomena—that all things are empty of a separate, isolated self. He realized that the key to liberation lay in these two principles of interdependence and non-self. Clouds drifted across the sky, forming a white background to the translucent pippala leaf. Perhaps that evening the clouds would encounter a cold front and transform into rain. Clouds were one manifestation; rain was another. Clouds also were not born and would not die. If the clouds understood that, Gautama thought, surely they would sing joyfully as they fell down as rain onto the mountains, forests, and rice fields.

    Illuminating the rivers of his body, feelings, perceptions, mental formations, and consciousness, Siddhartha now understood that impermanence and emptiness of self are the very conditions necessary for life. Without impermanence and emptiness of self, nothing could grow or develop. If a grain of rice did not have the nature of impermanence and emptiness of self, it could not grow into a rice plant. If clouds were not empty of self and impermanent, they could not transform into rain. Without an impermanent, non-self nature, a child could never grow into an adult. “Thus,” he thought, “to accept life means to accept impermanence and emptiness of self. The source of suffering is a false belief in permanence and the existence of separate selves. Seeing this, one understands that there is neither birth nor death, production nor destruction, one nor many, inner nor outer, large nor small, impure nor pure. All such concepts are false distinctions created by the intellect. If one penetrates into the empty nature of all things, one will transcend all mental barriers, and be liberated from the cycle of suffering.” ”

    — ‘Old Path White Clouds’, by Tchich Nhat Hanh

    ReplyDelete