Sunday 17 November 2013

Understanding the government...Part 11 (The Ivory Tower!)

Raju came out of the meeting hall smiling!

“What happened Raju? All went well?”

“Oh yes aunty, I realized that, in government meetings, all goes well for the person who chairs the meeting, the problem is to those who attend the meeting! Lol!”

Aunty laughed! “Good observation Raju!” So you finally took the decision on the tax issue?”

“Oh, yes, and I will tell you the details later, now I have to prepare for my tour. I have asked the Diwan to help. He may come anytime! So, tell me soon, where will we go?”

“Anywhere Raju! All is yours! You want to go closer or far-off place?”

By that time the Diwan appeared and Raju thought that he will take help from the Diwan himself.

“Your highness, where you want to go?”

“Where do you think I should go? Why don’t you only suggest a place?”

“Tumkur’? It’s not far off, yet not close too. You may like to visit the famous Devarayanadurga temple too! Normally the kings connect their tours with visiting temples, the abode of Gods!”

But Raju’s mind was on things on the Earth. “I want to visit villages affected by the failure of monsoon and crops. I want to see how our government is helping them. I want to see how our administration is at the ground level.”

Diwan thought for a moment. Then he looked at Raju, “Yes your highness, If you so wish, we will go to Tumkur and see the ground situation regarding the failure of crops and the administration.”

“Ok, we will start tomorrow early morning at 7 am?”

Raju could see the Diwan's eye brows going up in surprise.

“Highness, that will be too early. First we need to make a detailed programme and then send that to the local deputy commissioners. In this case to Deputy Commissioner, Tumkur. Then we need to give 4-5 days time for preparations both here and at Tumkur."

“4-5 days for preparation? What preparations?”

“Your highness, when you move on tour, lots of people move along, starting from a part of our kitchen, till the king’s bodyguards, a whole paraphernalia moves! And next it’s the arrangements that have to be made for your stay in Tumkur. The deputy commissioner needs at-least three days time. So, we make a ‘Tour programme’ and send it to the concerned with minimum 3 days notice period.”

“What?! My kitchen moves with me?! Why? I can’t eat food cooked in Tumkur? And I need my body guards? What about the Police in Tumkur?"

“Highness, I would humbly suggest that we shouldn't make any sudden changes on the systems that have been followed since long. They are time tested.”

Raju sensed that this could turn into an uncomfortable conversation. “Ok Diwan sir, let me think about it and get back to you! Meanwhile you can make a programme draft as you wish and put it up to me.”

The Diwan bowed and left.

Raju almost ran into the room looking for aunty.
“Aunty, tell me this first! My kitchen moves with me when I travel??!”

Aunty laughed at him! “Oh yes, my dear! You are after-all the King! Not only the kitchen but a huge retinue moves with you! Have you not heard of the King’s camps later becoming towns?!”

“Goodness! Don’t tell me that in 2013 also same thing happens!”

“Lol! It does happen in 2013 also, but partially! When the head of the state, the president or the Governor moves, along with them a huge entourage moves! The procedures are written down and it’s called as the blue book, which details the number of vehicles, persons who accompany the VIPs!

Even with the PM and CM also, we have security team, and his personal section moving along with him! All these arrangements take some time. So, you just can’t start your tour the next day morning my dear Raju!”

“But, aunty, I don’t want all that! I want to just go along with you and if required, the Diwan and see for myself how the things are in the districts.”

“You mean, a surprise visit?!”

“Is that called a surprise visit?! I thought that’s normal visit! In-fact this ‘Tour programme’ looks funny to me aunty! I understand that we may need security etc., but can’t it be given at the local level? Or maybe just one or two officers can accompany while I travel ?”

“Oh, we will discuss those details later Raju! Now, tell me, you want to go for a surprise visit?”

“Yes aunty! But, how do I do that? I could see from this room down, so many of the guards and officials. How do I escape the attention of all of them?”

“That’s the point Raju! As you are king and you are so powerful, there are so many persons waiting to meet you! Most of them need a favor and many more take advantage of your proximity. So, where you are every minute is always tracked. Many will even know when you switch of the light of your room! And, trust me, I am not talking about the security threat you may have due to your enemies in other kingdoms and within!”

“That’s scary aunty! If I can’t move freely and meet people, then am I not keeping myself away from the real world? Then how can I take big big decisions that affect the common public? That’s why they tell that kings live in ivory towers?”

“You are right Raju! Most of the time people sitting in the top lose touch with the reality. But, back in 2013, things are much better! You have phones, internet etc which can make you keep in touch with the public if you choose to, midst of your busy schedule!”

“I understand that. But, if I don’t do that, I depend on my secretaries and commissioners? And I find that they are also having some 15 layers till they reach the last mile. And 15 layers can make white to black and ant to elephant. Isn't?”

“Of-course Raju! In every layer of communication, some inefficiency is introduced, that by the 5th of 6th level, the information gets badly distorted to have any value!”

“Then how does this 15 levels are still working aunty?”

“That’s why government works only on paper! Lol! I didn't mean that way Raju! I meant to say that, all the work of government happens by writing, do that it can’t get distorted even it passes thru 100 layers! Though it led to delays in the olden days, now, with fax and internet, things can be really faster!”

“But, aunty, you only told me that government is yet to use the IT tools like emails etc fully?”

“Yes Raju! You are right! But, they are working on it! Things will improve a lot in coming days!

You leave aside that, do you really want to go for this surprise inspection? Then you have to disguise yourself or you can’t even leave this palace! Forget about going to your districts!”

“Disguise? Like the kings in the olden times did? Why can’t I tell my guards not to stop me and walk out of the place?”

“Silly, somebody in the guards will tell whisper in the ears of another, and when you step out of the palace, you will have some 10 to 20 guys following wherever you go!”

“Oh yes! Ok, then let’s disguise ourselves and leave? Come aunty, it’s exciting! I will disguise as my attendant?!”

“Don’t be mad Raju! They will know when they see the face! If you cover the face and move out, your own police will catch you! So, I have a better idea. Tomorrow morning, say you are going for a ride in the horse. Once you are just with your body guards, ask them to come and meet in the normal place.

But, you take a deviation, and come to the old house just adjacent to the road to Chamundi hill. I will keep alternate clothes and another horse cart for you. We both will escape in that and ride to the nearest market! From there we can travel as common citizens to your Tumkur!


 “Oh, this idea sounds great! Let’s do it! I can’t wait to go to the countryside and see how things are there!”
----------------------------------------------------------------------
to be continued next Sunday...

(NB: As per the feedback, the narration will be continued in third-person!)

No comments:

Post a Comment