Thursday 3 October 2013

Understanding the government… 1

So, where do we start?

“Why the government, the politicians and the bureaucrats appear to be bad? What can I do to set things right? Where do I start?”

The above are the three common phrases one keeps hearing. Most importantly ‘where do I start?’ seems to be the foremost question in the mind of most of the youngsters who want to bring in a change.

In this background, it’s almost the duty of those who are in the government to guide them or at least tell them about government and how it works, so that they can be better informed to take their own decisions.

So, I thought I will write about what I learnt in the government in the last 15 years. Needless to say, it may not be perfect. So, readers feel free to correct me, or ask questions.

As this is targeted at the youth, attempt is made to make it simple, like a story, so that even PUC students can understand. I intend to write as and when I get time, so it may go for many months!

So, here it goes!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one week and the holidays will come to an end. Raju was watching the TV changing the channels. Just threw the question at the aunt, ‘Can I do anything to change the crumbling system around aunt?’

Vani aunty looked at him, smiled and said, “Of course Raju. In-fact  unless educated youth like you participate in the process of governance, it can be never set right! 

Government system deteriorates or in other words, starts serving itself, unless there is a watch, and guidance. Who will watch and guide? We, the public have to do it! We are the reason for the government to exist, and who are the beneficiaries of it!” 

“But, how do I do that Aunt?”

“To do that, first we should know how the system works. Unless the mechanic knows how the car works, he can never repair it well! Isn't?”

“Yes, you make sense. But, how do I know the system? The civic lessons in the book are either vague or complicated. It doesn't help me to understand what I read in the news daily!”

“You are right! Ok, let me make and attempt! Let me see if I can tell you this as a story where you can experience governance yourself!”

“Me aunt?! How?!!”

“Simple! Let’s imagine a time machine. I will take you thru the different ages of government. Imagine you are the king! You will see governance yourself!”

“That’s interesting! Let’s go then! Start your machine aunt! You be my invisible advisor when we travel in time and run governments! Ok?!”


“Of course Raju, come, lets go!”

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment